Sunday, May 31, 2015

Here and There

Half of the time
We're waiting for a hand of kindness
To break us like a wave
And turn us toward your face

***
I wanted to be the sky
As I looked at the seagulls
lazily soaring above the ocean
My heart opening up like a teardrop 
at the Jersey Shore and I thought,
Nothing matters but You, Your voice 
among all the muck;
the schoolbooks of money and death
and people saying,
"When is your future?  When will it start?"

So

I ran out to see the bay in the morning
Excited to catch the little piece of heaven
called Pivo Point, Ontario, a place I'd never been
The first retreat of this new life I'd chosen.
The water talked to me playfully as it went 
over the rocks in little waves
And I thought, I'd never seen anything more beautiful
With all of my planning, it wasn't me
who brought me here
to feel this galaxy of fire inside
You brought me here

To

Columbus, Georgia, where
I walked along the river until I 
found a waterfall
And it made me wonder 
why I even had a body at all
I wanted to be the river
I could feel the force of thousands of people
singing my song under this rainy tent
"Peace is flowing like a river..."
Wanting to close the School of Death
And as we remembered those who passed away,
we became the autumn trees and the wind,
holding our little white crosses
high in our hands
Each one had a name
Their names were our names
"Presente"
And we became each other's past,
each other's pain

And I was the river
We were the river
I was the sky
We were the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment